Learn A Stitch Project

Last year at the Southland Embroidery Guild we had a Learn a Stitch project.  I have made my embroidery into a cushion.  I have also used the complementary colours of Green and Red as a colour study.  It was a great way to try different stitches and become familiar with them.



This was something I wanted to do - embroider wood grain  I began with 3 circles and then couched heavier threads around one side of them.  From there it was a matter of making lies of stitching to resemble woodgrain. I have used different stitches as before, and as i am not a fan of just brown, I have used other colours to give it interest - of course there had to be purple in too!

Another way to learn stitches is to do some crazy patchwork.  this is interesting because you can combine stitches.  The colour is a lovely rich black background of dress making fabrics which doesn't show to advantage in this photo
For these projects i used various books to learn the stitches, but also I use Sharon Boggon's great website and her stitch dictionary.  her website is a great source of inspiration.  It can be found here
Pin Tangle  – a blog about textiles
http://www.pintangle.com/

Tones and Tints - a blog about drawing, studio art journalling and visual arts
http://tonesandtints.com

I trust you will be inspired to try something similar if you want to learn more stitches

Comments

  1. This is great advice! Very honest and practical. I really enjoyed this post. Nice post!! These tips may help me lot.
    Main page here
    Click for info

    ReplyDelete
  2. My partner and i merely implore in order to recommend backings to your brilliant pole, it is present myself some sort of numerous associated with storehouse pertaining to my own proximate advantages, corroborate an individual therefore commodious mirielle asst. alpaca yarn nz

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment